Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Baby on a Schedule, Yay or Nay?

Are you a scheduler or a wing-it-er?

I used to be a wing-it-er. And I loved it. Even when my daughter was born, I continued to live a life of spontaneity--flying by the seat of my pants.

And then the utterly painful sleep deprivation set in. And routine won out against wingin' it. The only way I could guarantee myself at least a few hours of continuous sleep each night was if I made sure Annabel got her naps in during the day.

Schedules don't work for every kid, parent or even family, but for us, it does. We've loosened the reins as she's gotten a bit older, but I still try to schedule things so that we are home for her to nap if she wants to (she's starting to rock that boat now; please, universe, let her nap for a good while longer!), and in bed by 7:30/8pm every night.

I explore the issue for Today's Parent magazine.

And while I do follow a schedule of sorts, I still do not consider myself a slave to the clock. Heck, I don't even wear a watch! That's right. I'm bad, I know it. I'm bad, I show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment