Thursday, February 4, 2016

Grief, A Tricky Beast

Photo by George Webber

Last Sunday would have been my mom's 63rd birthday. It's still hard for me to believe she's not here anymore. Losing her was the hardest thing that's ever happened to me. The grief was and continues to be overwhelming sometimes. But the grief also makes me more empathetic and compassionate towards others who have lost. That's why I was so intrigued by a roadside memorial that I frequently passed on the highway. Not so much by the memorial itself, but by the woman that was often present there. And so I connected with Kim Thomas, who lost her son Brandon on that spot three years ago. I hope that one day she can find some solace. Here's my piece about Kim for Swerve magazine. Thank you also to George Webber for always being so tender to his subjects and taking beautiful photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment